Breaking news – Mercedes and BMW end partnership
These are some of the choices made by Mercedes:
- Both companies will continue to pursue their own development path
- The technological understanding of both partners continues to fit well
- Successful cooperation in other areas is to be continued as planned
- Fröhlich: “With today’s technology we have been excellently positioned for many years”
- Schäfer: “Exploring opportunities with partners outside the automotive industry
Mercedes News / Mercedes and BMW end partnership
The BMW Group and Mercedes-Benz AG temporarily put their collaboration on the development of next-generation technologies for automated driving on hold. After a thorough examination, the two companies mutually agreed to concentrate on their existing development paths – which may also include working with existing or new partners. Both wanted to emphasize that the cooperation can be resumed at a later point in time and that the underlying approaches of the two organizations on topics such as safety and customer benefits in the area of automated driving remain highly compatible.
Both companies also emphasized that they will continue to work closely together in the remaining areas as planned. In 2015, the two companies merged with Audi AG to acquire the location and technology platform HERE, which now has a very broad and international shareholder structure. At the beginning of 2019, the BMW Group and Daimler AG bundled their mobility services in a joint venture under the umbrella of the NOW family.